This hearty dish is comfort food with a kick of healthy kale. We get the groundedness of the potato root vegetables. The kale adds the benefits of iron, vitamin c and antioxidants nourishing veggies and whole foods
Hearty Baked Potato and Kale MashDifficulty: easy
One bag yellow potatoes (other potatoes can be used but may need to be peeled after boiling)
Lacinato kale (also called dinosaur kale!) 🙂
1 cup plant milk such as oatmilk
1 cup vegan cream cheese
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste – generous is delicious in this dish
Fresh Herbs to Garnish if available
- Wash and boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until tender to the prick of a fork
- Strain the water off the potatoes and set aside
- Rinse kale and pull kale leaves from stems ; break leaves into bite sized pieces
- Mix potatoes, oatmilk, cream cheese, garlic, and kale in mixer until chunky but smooth and well incorporated together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note : If using a high speed blender mix ingredients in two batches. If using a large countertop mixer all ingredients can likely be added into large mixing bowl.
- Spread the potatoes into a large oven safe casserole dish and use a fork to create hatch marks across the top of the mashed potatoes. This creates even more surface area to brown in the oven.
Note : This Potato Mash is delicious once blended, and can be eaten right away, but baking in the oven allows all the ingredients to further infuse and allows the top of the potatoes to crisp in the heat of the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350-400 degrees depending on your oven. For extra browning, turn the broiler on for a couple minutes. Watch closely so its browned just perfectly. Its easy to burn if you step away for too long.
- Plate and sprinkle with fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and even a dallop of vegan cream cheese if you like.
This stores well in mason jars for reheating throughout the week.