Mardi Gras celebrations have Jambalaya!
We have Plant Based Jambalaya with Veggie Sausage and it is a delicious variation on the New Orleans favorite.
Plant Based Jambalaya
1 Green pepper diced
1 Red pepper diced
2 stalks Celery diced
1 Carrot diced
1/2 White onion diced
2 cans Red beans (or make fresh from dried red beans)
2 cups Rice (white or brown)
4 cups Vegetable broth or water
1 can Chopped tomatoes
4 Roma tomatoes, fresh, chopped rough (if available)
4 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
3 bay leaves
1 package Veggie Sausage (Tofurkey brand works great in this recipe)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Hot red pepper flakes to taste
Fresh Parsley as garnish
- Saute celery, onion, carrot in saucepan until tender and golden brown, adding in green and red pepper after 3-5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and stir until well mixed. Then add in Creole seasoning and stir.
- Pour in red beans and rice and add the water or vegetable broth.
- Mix everything together until well covered in broth and add bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is well cooked and tender
- In a separate pan, chop and saute the veggie sausage until brown
- Right before ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and add the veggie sausage
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if you like as garnish and lightly salt with coarse salt.