On my recent visit to New Orleans I had some delicious traditional crab cakes. They were served with fresh lemon and hot sauce. I of course started thinking up ways to make these plant based back in the Divine Life Kitchen. I also knew I wanted to whip up a remuolaude that used plant based ingredients so I could dip the “crab cakes” and make up a slaw with the remuoluade.
I used hearts of palm and chickpeas with a generous dash of dulce flakes and creole seasining to create this plant based “crab cake” at home.
I made up several for each person having dinner and then froze the remaining for a quick dinner another day. Enjoy and let me know how you get Creative in the kitchen with your ingredients when you make up this seafood like feast.
Next time I make them I will also make up some creole seasoned potato fries! I know those would taste great dipped in the remoulaude!
Hearts of Palm Chickpea “Crab Cakes”
2 stalks Heart of Palm
2 cups Chickpeas cooked
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon Kelp flakes
(for seafood flavor)
1/4 cup Red pepper chopped
1/4 cup Celery chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups Panko bread crumbs (gluten free used in this recipe)
Optional : Fresh parsley, Green onion, Jalapenos
- Add hearts of palm to blender and pulse to break into large pieces
- Add chikpeas into blender and pulse until well blended into a chunky mixture
- Add in celery, red pepper, generous squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until eveyrthing is integrated
- Pour mixture into a bowl for easy handling. Form into patties and place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll in the Panko crumbs to coat the outside
- Fry in oil or air fryer until brown and crispy on both sides. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Creole Remoulade Slaw
3 cups Cabbage chopped
1/4 cup Creole Remoulade
- Make or Use Saved Creole Remoulade
- Add chopped cabbage to a large bowl and stir in Creole Remoulade
- Garnish with fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro) and dash of sweet paprika or creole seasoning
- Enjoy with some of the other Mardi Gras recipes in our blog!